22 - 26 September, 2014, Erlangen, Germany
The Electric Mobility Week will take place in
Germany from 22 September to 26 September 2014.
The Conference will take place on the 24-25 September 2014, and the ENIAC and ARTEMIS Project Workshops, which are open only to project Consortia, will be held on 22, 23, 26 September
2014 at: Location: Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
91058 Erlangen, Germany
Dr. Jens Habermann, FAU, Dep. Mathematik
Please register yourself for the European
Conference and Nanoelectroncis and Embedded Systems for Electric
NESEM 2014 Conference Registration.
The Conference will take place on the 24-25 September 2014, and the ENIAC and ARTEMIS Project Workshops, which are open only to project Consortia, will be held on 22, 23, 26 September 2014 at:
South Campus 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Source: Dr. Jens Habermann, FAU, Dep. Mathematik
Please register yourself for the European Conference and Nanoelectroncis and Embedded Systems for Electric Mobility at: NESEM 2014 Conference Registration.
Erlangen, with its 100,000 inhabitants, the home of the Huguenots, cyclists and Siemens, has its own special charm. The opera, theatres and museums, cabaret and a lively pub culture and nightlife offer an attractive alternative after a day in lectures, labs or libraries. Some of the annual cultural highlights in Erlangen are the Audio Art Festival, the Comic Salon, the Marionette and Puppet Festival, the Poetry Festival and Arena, the Festival of Young Contemporary Theatre.
Every two years the research institutes in Erlangen, Nürnberg and Fürth hold an open night, the “Long Night of Knowledge”. Franconian Switzerland, a paradise for climbers and walkers, offers the active all they could wish for right on their doorstep; water sports enthusiasts will find the new Franconian Lakes and the University water-sports centre a temptation they cannot resist.
Erlangen was first mentioned in official records in 1002 under the name of Villa Erlangon. In 1361, the village was sold to Emperor Karl IV. Three years later, a city was built close to the village, which in 1374 got its own coining station (mint). In 1398, the municipal rights were confirmed. In 1402, the city came into the possession of the House of Hohenzollern as part of the principality of Brandenburg-Kulmbach (from 1603 on Brandenburg-Bayreuth), remaining under their rule until 1806.
During the four year Napoleonic occupation, Erlangen was the capital of the so-called "Low County" (Unterland) of the principality, encompassing the area until Neustadt an der Aisch and separated from the "High County" (Oberland) by a land corridor. In 1810 it became part of the Kingdom of Bavaria, together with the rest of former Brandenburg-Bayreuth. While it was still part of Brandenburg-Bayreuth, the first French Huguenot refugees arrived in Erlangen in 1686. Christian Ernst, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth, built a "new town" (Neustadt) for them. In 1706, the old town (just below the site of the annual Bergkirchweih) was almost completely destroyed by a fire, but soon rebuilt. In 1812, the old and new towns were merged into one.
In 1742, Frederick, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth, founded a university for his royal seat of Bayreuth, but due to the rebelliousness of the local students, the university was transferred to Erlangen. Only later did it obtain the name of "Friedrich-Alexander-University" and become a Prussian state university. Famous students of these times were Johann Ludwig Tieck and Wilhelm Heinrich Wackenroder.
Erlangen is today dominated by the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg and the numerous branch offices of Siemens AG, as well as a large research Institute of the Fraunhofer Society and the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light. An event that left its mark on the city was the settlement of Huguenots after the withdrawal of the Edict of Nantes in 1685. (Erlangen).